Monday 12 April 2010

The Space Between Thoughts

During one retreat at the ashram that I visit for meditation and yoga programs,I learned a teaching from an ancient yogic text that made a big impression one me. The sutra is "Mudya vikasat chidananda labaha" which means "when the center expands, the bliss of Consciousness rises." The thing is, I did not just learn this sutra, I actually had an experience of it which lasted for three days!

When the center expands can mean...when the space between two thoughts expands. When the mind is truly quiet, this bliss is supposed to rise up from within. You can try it right now and see if it works. Let your mind be completely quiet and notice how you feel. No judgments, no chatter, just silence. Looking at nature enhances the experience. Eckhart Tolle calls it "the power of Now" and Dr. Wayne Dyer calls it "getting into the gap."

Yogis say that the reason we practice regular meditation, yoga, and chanting is to still the mind for a while, so that we can experience the blissful and healing energy that exists within us. With regular practice, we can also extend the experience of the space between the thoughts into our daily lives. And one who can experience this quiet space indefinitely (or who knows how to get back into it at will) is known as an Enlightened Being.

Having an enlightened teacher has perks. When I was given this sutra, I was also given the experience of its teaching. I was a cheery and studious 27 year old with lots of ideas, thoughts, opinions, and feelings milling around inside. While at the ashram, I had a lot of commentary to share with others at breaks, meal times, with roommates, etc. However, once that teaching entered inside of me, I made shift.

I became deeply and completely quiet in all ways. I had no opinions yearning to be shared, no room for idle chit chat, I was silent. Being in nature was the most satisfying as nature easily mirrored outside what was going on within me. I was in an enlightened state for three whole days.

People who knew me said that my quiet was not stoic-feeling or unwelcoming as it was set off by a full smile and a lot of sweetness coming through the eyes that they could feel. I experienced many miracles in the days following the sutra suggested silence. And through the ongoing practices of meditation, chanting, and yoga that still my mind and infuse my days with the touch of silence, I still do.

No comments:

Post a Comment