Thursday 4 February 2010

I Loved God as a Child

Ever since I was a child, I have loved God. When I was a very small child I would walk to church by myself. I remembered feeling that God was with me and I remember my grandma’s insistence that I go to church. My family was Church of Christ which was a conservative path in which no musical instruments or dancing was allowed. As a young teenager, I had many strong experiences of God by participating in a Methodist church’s youth group. However, as an older teen, I lost touch with my spiritual seeking and starting seeking other things like boys, etc.

A lot of emotional baggage and dis-ease from my childhood crept up in college and I suffered feelings of depression, anger, insecurity, and unworthiness. I was not at peace, but I was functional enough and muddled through. Although I was not particularly looking, I found my treasure shortly after college while I was in teaching English in China. Through a friend there, I met an enlightened Indian saint. The experiences I had from following this saint’s teachings were undeniably powerful. I received a very physical experience of Kundalini awakening. Kundalini is a dormant spiritual energy that lives within everyone and resides at the base of the spine.

Jesus said, “The kingdom of God is within” and I have found that to be true in meditation experiences. So that is where I look for God, in my own heart. When I experience the depth of my heart in meditation, I notice more goodness, light, and beauty on the outside as well. I have HUGE signs, miracles, protection, dreams, and experiences of God on a regular basis and I understand that God is in everything, but most especially in the human heart. I believe everyone has access to God and by putting their attention on it, and even going more deeply into their own path, they can be taken very deeply into their own hearts. I have seen Christians, Buddhist, Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Hindus, and yogis all lit up by divine love.

I would love to hear from others about your experiences of the divine. Please feel free to share your light on the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment