Wednesday 18 August 2010

Sugar, Sex, Violence, Dysfunction, Medication

Recently, I just returned from spending the summer of 2010 in the USA. As our family is stationed overseas, we return home to the US for summer vacations. We are so excited and emotional when we pass through US immigration that every year I shed a few tears when the immigration officer says "Welcome home." This year was no exception.

It is wonderful to see so many people of different races, colors, and religions living for the most part peacefully together. There is a feeling of youthful energy in the air that can make one feel that "It's never too late" and "There are always second chances." Infrastructure works, there is minimal obvious corruption in daily life, people mostly abide by laws, and as my friend says: it's place where all things are possible. In many ways, it's the greatest place on earth.

However, after I eat my first pint of blueberries, reconnect with friends and family, drive on the "correct" side of the road, and fill my suitcases with Target and Old Navy's newest items, I feel like I'm being hit over the head with a culture that is pushing sugar, sex, violence, dysfunction, and medication. Oh, how I wish it was more like "Water, connection, peace, healing, and meditation."

There was a time when Jerry Springer TV was confined to a few late afternoon programs. However, now it's on the morning shows, Animal Planet, evening shows, and Cartoon Network. It is all day, everyday, everywhere.

Most nice restaurants offer huge portions of fried food and sugar in lieu of tasty, nourishing, and light fare. I found that the only edible thing on most menus was salads. And I did have some amazing salads. Still, it was disappointing that such a great country has so much nutritionally poor/calorie rich food. Some Australian friends of mine traveled to Florida's Disneyland and said that they could not find one healthy item to eat in the whole park.

My intention here is not to complain. I am proud to be an American and I love my country. At the same time, I am so grateful that my family is in a place with fresh, healthy foods that are not polluted with artificial sweeteners, chemical cocktails, and that are pesticide free. Cartoon network just has children programming and not commercials about how to make bail. I am not prompted to ask my doctor about needing the latest medication on the market.

I just hope that when we move back to the US, we see a trend towards healthier lifestyles. And I pray that even if that is not the case, that we can continue to practice what we have learned. In the end, positive growth and change are more about love than fear. May we Americans love ourselves and our families enough to, as Ghandi said, "Be the change we want to see."

1 comment:

  1. Love this. It is very tempting, on an every day basis, to get off track. So many things trying to grab our attention and tell us what to do, think, wear, how to be. I love yoga because it reminds me look on the inside and not towards the outside. It reminds me that when I give love, I have love, when I give patience, I have patience. Its about how I feel and looking within myself to become a better person instead of looking to other people or things to get my validation.
    Monique, you are inspiring, your experiences and the way you live your life is an inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete