Wednesday 29 September 2010

Day in the Life of the Yogic Diet

Many people have practices that they do to keep themselves fit, happy, and steady. Some people emphasize different areas of fitness over others. To be well rounded, happy, peaceful, healed, and whole we should aim for a balance of keeping ourselves mentally, physically, and spiritually fit. It is essentially the sum of these practices that I call "the Yogic Diet." Your yogic diet will be different from mine and from your teachers and friends. What are some of the practices of your yogic diet?

Experiencing the "light" of yoga makes me tick. So, many of my practices revolve around lighting up what I feel needs to be regularly re-lit and re-freshed.

1. First, I aim to LIGHT up whatever is going on in my mind. Mornings are best.
- I do about 15 minutes of spiritual practices to quiet my mind and then I affirm what I really want for myself and others in my life. If I'm worried about something like "Will I have enough participants to make a new class?" Them I affirm, "I feel successful and attract abundance into my life. My classes naturally attract an abundance of clients. I release all worry and concern."
- I also use this process to pray for others. If my parents or kids are struggling with something, then I affirm a positive way for it all to work out for them.
- I stay with it until I release every last worry. When I finish, I feel positive and happy...lit up.

2. Time to LIGHT up the body
- I walk briskly to get my heart rate up, feel energized, and burn calories.
- Practicing hatha yoga helps to light up whatever feels tired or achy in the body, to open the energy flow, to stretch and strengthen my muscles, and to draw my senses within.
- I mostly eat a light diet that is filled with fruits and veggies, nuts, some dairy, lots of water, healthy added oils, and less snacks.

3. Filling up with LIGHT
- Once I've cleared my mind and refreshed my body, I sit for meditation. This practice is my lifeline. Going within I have so much more to give out. I can focus more on "How are you?" rather than so much on "How about me?"

Believe it or not, this set of practices has taken years to develop. And though these practices give me great happiness, a feeling of steadiness, and the ability to serve others with my heart, sometimes I can still go days without doing them. Then when I go back to them, the steadiness returns. I feel that when I can do them like a world-class athlete who practices 2 x 7 x 52 x 10 (2 times a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year - for 10 years), it'll be time for my PBS special!

All my classes are essentially about learning to develop, practice, and deepen your own yogic diet. Contact me for more details on how to develop your yogic diet today.

Love and Blessings,
Monique

No comments:

Post a Comment